The NFER and Headteacher Update Research Insights articles offer a wealth of evidence-based, best practice and advice covering a range of whole-school and classroom issues.
The latest article, published in March 2017, looks at two international comparison reports analysing science and maths performance in England and Northern Ireland at primary level – and, most importantly, the lessons we can learn from these studies.Other topics featured in this free PDF include:
- Teacher retention, drawing on new research showing why teachers choose to quit teaching and the "protective factors" that help to keep them engaged, motivated and at the chalkface.
- What effective school-to-school partnerships and collaborations look like and practical advice for creating and maintaining partnerships.
- Academy conversion – an issue now facing many primary schools. This piece draws on research into whether academy status in itself can raise standards and outcomes in a school and looks at what the findings mean for primary school leaders.
- The key building blocks to successful Pupil Premium strategies, including the common factors found in successful Pupil Premium schools.
- The factors that make primary school assessments and tests effective.
- A new evaluation of the government-funded In Harmony programme, which aims to bring music education to disadvantaged children in the hope of also boosting their academic outcomes.
All our Research Insights seek to offer crucial, evidence-based advice to primary school leaders across a range of issues vital to successful primary education and teaching.
Research Insights articles are published in every edition of Headteacher Update and PDFs of articles from 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2012 are also available from the Supplements section of this website.